Sid Richardsonsid [dot] richardson [at] duke [dot] edu
EducationDuke University, Durham, NC
Candidate for PhD in Composition, expected 2018
Duke University, Durham, NC
Master of Arts in Composition 2015
The Boston Conservatory, Boston, MA
Master of Music in Composition 2013
Tufts University, Medford, MA
Bachelor of Arts in Music and Classics 2010
Magna Cum Laude
University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
Catholic University of Paris
Private Composition Study
- Stephen Jaffe, Duke University, 2013 – present
- Scott Lindroth, Duke University, 2015 – present
- John Supko, Duke University, 2014 – present
- Marti Epstein, Boston Conservatory, 2012 – 2013
- Jan Swafford, Boston Conservatory, 2011 – 2012
- John McDonald, Tufts University, 2007 – 2011
- Elliott Schwartz, Tufts University, 2008
Awards and Distinctions
- Charles Ives Scholarship, American Academy of Arts and Letters, 2017
- International Dissertation Research Travel Award, Duke Univeristy, 2016
- Winner of the nief-norf Festival’s International Call for Scores, 2015
- Roger Sessions Memorial Composition Award, Boston Conservatory, 2013
- Honorable Mention in Minnesota Orchestra Composer Institute Competition, 2012
- Outstanding Achievement Award in the Department of Music, Tufts University, 2010
Summer Festivals and Residencies
- Virginia Center for the Creative Arts in Amherst, VA
- fresh inc Festival in Kenosha, WI, 2015
- Zodiac Music Academy and Festival in Valdeblore, 2014 France
- Summer Institute of Contemporary Performance Practice at New England Conservatory, 2014
- New Music on the Point in Leicester, VT, 2014
- Summer Institute of Contemporary Performance Practice at New England Conservatory, 2012
- Atlantic Music Festival at Colby College in Waterville, ME, 2012
- Upbeat International Summer Music School in Milna, Croatia, 2011
Work ExperienceDuke University, Durham, NC
Artistic Director of Duke New Music Ensemble, 2015-16 season
- Directs, programs, and organizes [dnme] concerts by graduate and undergraduate performers and composers.
- Teaches undergraduate-level courses in aural skills and theory in the Department of Music.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 2011 to 2013
- Assisted in the grading and running of undergraduate-level music history courses in Medieval, Renaissance, Classical, Romantic, and twentieth-century music.
General Staff, 2011 to 2013
- Organized, produced, and promoted concerts for a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to performing new music. A featured composer on the BNMI 2012-2013 Concert Series.
Event Sexton, 2006 to 2013
- Set up and ran concerts and receptions for Emmanuel Music and Emmanuel Church.
Citizen Teacher, 2010
- Taught an introductory-level musicianship course at Washington Irving Middle School.